Macaroni and Cheese
I made this for our toddler, so I omitted salt and pepper from the cooking process. Also, since I used Parmesan, you would need significantly less salt, as it is a very salty cheese. I used 1 1/2 c. cheddar, 1 1/2 c. Parmesan, and 1 c. cubed American.
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 stick butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. milk (plus additional, if needed)
1/4-1/2 c. sour cream
1 Tbsp. (dijon) mustard
4 c. cheese
Cook macaroni 3-5 minutes shy of al dente. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350º. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat; whisk in flour. Continue whisking until roux turns a golden brown (this is important, otherwise your mac and cheese will taste like flour); slowly whisk in milk, continuing to whisk to break up lumps. When mixture is smooth, add in sour cream, dijon, and salt and pepper. Using a spoon, stir in cheese and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and melty – you may need to add more milk to create a thick sauce. Drain pasta completely and transfer to baking dish; pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir to combine. Sprinkle top of pasta with breadcrumbs (if you want a crunchy top) and season lightly with thyme. Bake for at least 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
To reheat, moisten slightly with chicken broth or milk and microwave in 45 second intervals until desired temperature is reached.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago