Macaroni and Cheese
I made this for our toddler, so I omitted salt and pepper from the cooking process. Also, since I used Parmesan, you would need significantly less salt, as it is a very salty cheese. I used 1 1/2 c. cheddar, 1 1/2 c. Parmesan, and 1 c. cubed American.
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 stick butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. milk (plus additional, if needed)
1/4-1/2 c. sour cream
1 Tbsp. (dijon) mustard
4 c. cheese
Cook macaroni 3-5 minutes shy of al dente. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350º. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat; whisk in flour. Continue whisking until roux turns a golden brown (this is important, otherwise your mac and cheese will taste like flour); slowly whisk in milk, continuing to whisk to break up lumps. When mixture is smooth, add in sour cream, dijon, and salt and pepper. Using a spoon, stir in cheese and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and melty – you may need to add more milk to create a thick sauce. Drain pasta completely and transfer to baking dish; pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir to combine. Sprinkle top of pasta with breadcrumbs (if you want a crunchy top) and season lightly with thyme. Bake for at least 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
To reheat, moisten slightly with chicken broth or milk and microwave in 45 second intervals until desired temperature is reached.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Who would like a #Lego #AliceinWonderland set? Support this idea to get one step closer to #LegoAlice reality! ideas.lego.com/projects/bbd32… 2 months ago
- @LEGOIdeas @LEGO_Group Please make this Alice in Wonderland set happen! twitter.com/Novemayune/sta… 2 months ago
- ideas.lego.com/projects/bbd32… 2 months ago
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 10 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 11 months ago