I grew up in Michigan, where wet burritos are apparently pretty localized. For those of you unfamiliar with wet burritos, they are your typical burrito, except they are smothered in a ranchero-type sauce and covered with cheese.
1 lb. ground beef, thawed
1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 small onions, chopped
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
1 can Refried Beans
1 can tomato sauce + 1 can water
1 pkg Enchilada Seasoning Mix
1 Tbsp. cornstarch in 3 Tbsp. cold water
4 large (burrito) flour tortillas
1-2 bags Shredded Mexican or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Lettuce, Tomatoes, Green/Red Sweet Peppers (optional)
Sour Cream, Salsa, Guacamole (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Brown ground beef in oil, garlic and onion.
Add Taco Seasoning and Refried Beans.
In saucepan, add tomato sauce, 1 can water, and Burrito Seasoning. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
Slowly whisk corn starch mixture in tomato mixture until desired texture.
In bottom of 9×13 pan, spread 1/2 c. sauce.
Layer 4 large tortillas in pan….overlapping is ok.
Add meat mixture with a little sauce over it, even amounts of meat/beans over the four tortillas.
You may add veggies at this point or choose to have them on the side.
Roll burritos seperately. First you fold in the sides, then roll it completely shut.
Pour remaining sauce on top, saturating the burritos.
Layer each burrito with a considerable amount of cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
***If you chose to have veggies on top, add them just before serving, or on the side. Serve with your choice of sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole. You can also serve with tortilla chips for scooping up excess sauce and filling mixture.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago