Creamy risotto depends on using a starchy rice and STIRRING your brains out – not adding cream or milk. Also, this recipe works as a great base, so feel free to add your favorite mushroom or freshly grated cheese to add even more flavor.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
Half a medium onion, diced
1 1/2 c. arborio rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4-5 c. (low sodium) chicken broth (can substitute one cup of dry white wine (sauvignon blanc) for one cup of broth)
In a large skillet with lid, heat oil and butter over medium-low heat; in a large saucepan, heat chicken broth. Once butter is melted, add onion and still until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir well to coat rice with fat; stir often over 10 minutes to toast rice. When rice smells toasted and grains are solidly white, add in garlic, salt and pepper and stir well. Add one cup of hot broth to pan and stir well – liquid should start to appear cloudy (this is the starch seeping out of the rice, this is what makes risotto creamy). Stir until liquid is cooked out of pan and add another 1/2 c. liquid to pan, continuing to stir until liquid is cooked off. Repeat process until 4 c. liquid have been used. Test risotto to see if rice is completely cooked – if not, continue process. Serve hot as a side dish to your favorite entree.
Note: it takes me about an hour to make this at our altitude, but it will probably take much less time (about 20-30 minutes) at sea level.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 6 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 7 months ago
- @GameStop have a question about a product on your site but can't call 800 number. Email address for query? 7 months ago
- @Delta These passengers were trying to bully me and my 2yo on redeye flight. Attendants: kind, caring, sympathetic. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago
- @Delta Shoutout 2 the flight attendants on AF3633 ATL-STR 20 Jul. Were amazing in face of 3 horrid people on flight. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago