Bacon and eggs pasta (aka pasta alla carbonara)
This is one of my favorite Italian meals. Before I really knew what pasta alla carbonara was, I used to make a fake version for my hubby and I; it consisted of frying up a bunch of bacon, cooking a pound of pasta, and using an entire jar of alfredo. Definitely not a healthy meal choice! This is true pasta alla carbonara, and us Americans may (or may not) be more familiar with the term bacon and eggs pasta. Not every culture treats eggs as a breakfast food, and this is one dish that will bring eggs to your dinner table, instead of just your breakfast table. Buon apetito!
1 lb. pasta
2 T olive oil
4 oz. bacon or pancetta, cut into lardons
4 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 large eggs
1 c. parmesan cheese
1/2 c. reserved pasta cooking water
*Prepare sauce while pasta is cooking.
Cook pasta and reserve 1/2 c. of the water for the sauce (the starch from the pasta will help to turn runny eggs into a creamy sauce). Heat oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat; cook bacon in oil for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and parmesan; slowly add cooking water to temper eggs (prevent them from becoming scrambled when you add them to the pasta).
Drain pasta and add to pan, tossing quickly to coat pasta with bacon fat (about 2 minutes). Remove pan from heat. Add eggs mixture and toss quickly – the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs. You should have pasta with bacon in a creamy “alfredo-looking” sauce. Season with parsley and black pepper. Serve hot.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 6 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 7 months ago
- @GameStop have a question about a product on your site but can't call 800 number. Email address for query? 7 months ago
- @Delta These passengers were trying to bully me and my 2yo on redeye flight. Attendants: kind, caring, sympathetic. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago
- @Delta Shoutout 2 the flight attendants on AF3633 ATL-STR 20 Jul. Were amazing in face of 3 horrid people on flight. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago