I first experienced chimichurri sauce in Argentina, while I was studying abroad. Chimichurri is a sauce that is rumored to have been created by Jimmy McCurry or another similarly named person. You can read the wikipedia article I linked there if you’re curious. There is apparently a green version, but I am really only familiar with the red version, which is the recipe I’ve included below for you. This sauce is used on all meats, either used during cooking or afterward for dipping, and for anything else. As a double whammy for you, I’m including my absolute favorite use for it – grilled half chickens. Enjoy!
2 Tbsp. good vinegar (I like white wine or champagne vinegar)
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
2 tsp. dried basil leaves
2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 tsp. paprika
1/4 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. onion, minced
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Allow to sit for at least 1 hour prior to use.
1 whole chicken, bone in, skin on, halved (2 breast/thigh/leg halves)
1 batch chimichurri sauce
Preheat a charcoal grill, using only about 15 briquettes and spread evenly into a thin layer once ready. Gently slide your finger between the breast meat and the skin, being careful not to puncture the skin, and create a pocket down to the thigh joint. Slide your finger under the skin covering the thigh from the side, again being careful not to puncture the skin. Gently push the chimichurri down into the pockets using almost all of the mixture. Spray or brush the skin with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and the remaining chimichurri. Grill skin side down over low heat for about 22-25 minutes (chicken skin should be crispy and dark golden brown). Oil back side of chickens, flip, and grill another 20-25 minutes. Finger lickin’ good!
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago