Zucchini bread, by special request
So, I’m not much for baking, generally, because it tends to be very exact. When I cook, I tend to play fast and loose with measurements. In fact, almost all of my recipes are just guesses for measurements since I almost never actually measure anything in cooking. However, baking?? Baking deals with chemistry. Your measurements need to be precise so you don’t totally screw up what you are baking. But there is one thing that I always hit out of the park – quickbreads. What’s a quickbread? A quickbread doesn’t use yeast and therefore doesn’t need to rise, making it quicker.
My friend’s son is a picky eater. In a bid to get him eating more vegetables, she is test driving the quickbreads with him. Now, mind you, quickbreads can have a high sugar content, so they should not be relied upon as a sole source of vegetables. But they are very tasty!! So, by request from my friend, I bring you a recipe for zucchini bread (don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it)!
3 c. zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
1 c. oil (or 1 c. butter softened)
2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
Mix together eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; stir in zucchini. Add in flour, stirring as little as possible to combine (over-mixing will result in tough bread). Pour into loaf pans, filling only 2/3 full. Place loaf pans onto foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Note: I usually get three loaves out of this recipe. And if it weren’t for the sheet pan, I’d also have one hell of a mess in my oven. Do NOT skip the sheet pan, I’m telling you!!
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 6 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 7 months ago
- @GameStop have a question about a product on your site but can't call 800 number. Email address for query? 7 months ago
- @Delta These passengers were trying to bully me and my 2yo on redeye flight. Attendants: kind, caring, sympathetic. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago
- @Delta Shoutout 2 the flight attendants on AF3633 ATL-STR 20 Jul. Were amazing in face of 3 horrid people on flight. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago