Upside-down French toast
This is absolutely one of my favorite plan-ahead company’s-here breakfasts. It has to refrigerate overnight, so plan-ahead. Also, it is super duper rich and filling. I usually don’t even serve anything else with it, although if we had a lot of people, I would probably make some bacon or sausage to accompany it. I just make this with my traditional sandwich bread that I buy, but if you really want to class it up, you could buy some French bread and slice it up. To make it even more rich and flavorful, use whole milk or a combination of milk and cream (or coffee creamer!).
1 stick butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
enough slices of bread to stack two high and completely fill a 9×13 pan
In the bottom of a 9×13 Pyrex baking dish, melt butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg on stovetop and stir together. Once the mixture is well-combined, remove from heat and allow caramel to distribute evenly along bottom of pan (you may need to don some ovenmitts and tilt the pan this way and that to help it along).
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla until it is a well-combined custard mixture. Layer bread slices two high on top of caramel sauce in baking dish – you will need to cut some slices of bread to ensure that the bread goes from end to end and side to side without any gaps. Pour the custard over the bread, making sure to soak each slice. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until bread is golden. When serving each slice, flip it over so the caramel sauce is on top.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago