Upside-down French toast
This is absolutely one of my favorite plan-ahead company’s-here breakfasts. It has to refrigerate overnight, so plan-ahead. Also, it is super duper rich and filling. I usually don’t even serve anything else with it, although if we had a lot of people, I would probably make some bacon or sausage to accompany it. I just make this with my traditional sandwich bread that I buy, but if you really want to class it up, you could buy some French bread and slice it up. To make it even more rich and flavorful, use whole milk or a combination of milk and cream (or coffee creamer!).
1 stick butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
enough slices of bread to stack two high and completely fill a 9×13 pan
In the bottom of a 9×13 Pyrex baking dish, melt butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg on stovetop and stir together. Once the mixture is well-combined, remove from heat and allow caramel to distribute evenly along bottom of pan (you may need to don some ovenmitts and tilt the pan this way and that to help it along).
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla until it is a well-combined custard mixture. Layer bread slices two high on top of caramel sauce in baking dish – you will need to cut some slices of bread to ensure that the bread goes from end to end and side to side without any gaps. Pour the custard over the bread, making sure to soak each slice. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until bread is golden. When serving each slice, flip it over so the caramel sauce is on top.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 6 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 7 months ago
- @GameStop have a question about a product on your site but can't call 800 number. Email address for query? 7 months ago
- @Delta These passengers were trying to bully me and my 2yo on redeye flight. Attendants: kind, caring, sympathetic. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago
- @Delta Shoutout 2 the flight attendants on AF3633 ATL-STR 20 Jul. Were amazing in face of 3 horrid people on flight. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago