Grandma Jessie’s potatoes
This recipe is very simple and yet very delicious. The leftovers are great reheated as is, or put into a quick frittata. If you wanted to shortcut this recipe, you could use some chunky frozen hashbrowns. I usually cook one medium potato per person, so we’ll do this as a four-serving recipe. This recipe is special to me because it is one of the recipes from my husband’s family, something he grew up eating. It is also one of the first recipes my mother-in-law shared with me. Grandma Jessie was actually my husband’s great-grandmother, so this is a true heirloom recipe.
4 medium potatoes, peeled and largely diced
1 stick butter
2 Tbsp. (olive) oil
1-2 Tbsp. parsley flakes
Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water; cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and remove lid – allow to cook for 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and place into a baking dish. Cube butter and sprinkle over potatoes. Drizzle with oil; bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Toss with parsley flakes and serve hot.
Note: to infuse some extra flavor into the potatoes, use cold chicken stock instead of cold water to cook the potatoes. This is a great alternative to mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago