Pumpkin chiffon cake
I am not a fan of pumpkin pie (*GASP*!), so I was excited to find this recipe. I love pumpkin, but the custard of the pumpkin pie is just really too rich and heavy for my tastes. I made this last year for Thanksgiving in lieu of a pie. I was worried my dad would miss his usual pumpkin pie, but he loved this cake! This gives you the same pumpkin flavor and spice from the traditional pie, but it’s a much lighter dessert option.
1 c. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (recipe follows)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, separated, plus 5 egg whites, at room temperature
1 c. canned pumpkin puree
confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3/4 c. sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and pumpkin puree. Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the remaining 9 egg whites at medium speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. With the machine on, gradually add the sugar, increase the speed to high, and whip until stiff but still moist, about another 2 minutes. Fold the whipped egg whites into the pumpkin batter carefully in four parts – fold each portion of whites in until no white streaks remain, being careful not to deflate the egg whites. Gently transfer batter to a greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. If using a tube pan, invert pan after 5 minutes and allow to cool 90 minutes before removing from pan. Dust with confectioner’s sugar to serve.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- @nerdist Must have more #Futurama! In any format. Podcast is awesome. Love the audio-only format. #GoodNewsEveryone 6 months ago
- @EspionageMakeup graveyard! 7 months ago
- @GameStop have a question about a product on your site but can't call 800 number. Email address for query? 7 months ago
- @Delta These passengers were trying to bully me and my 2yo on redeye flight. Attendants: kind, caring, sympathetic. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago
- @Delta Shoutout 2 the flight attendants on AF3633 ATL-STR 20 Jul. Were amazing in face of 3 horrid people on flight. #recognizeexcellence 7 months ago