Most of you are probably familiar at least with what an empanada is – it is a folded pastry pocket with either a savory or sweet filling. I discovered these while I was studying in Argentina and I love them. Unfortunately, the only empanadas I have been able to find stateside here are nothing like the ones I grew to love while in Argentina. Therefore, I was left to come up with my own. I totally cheat and use crescent rolls. Sue me. Also, this recipe uses chicken, but these are equally delicious with ground beef. The recipe originally calls for sliced green olives, but I omit those. If they tickle your fancy, feel free to use them.
2 tubes crescent rolls
1 (rotisserie) chicken breast (from the deli), cooked and shredded
2 hard boiled eggs, diced
1 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, slightly beaten with 1 tsp. water (egg wash)
In a saute pan, melt butter; add onion and cook over medium-low heat until translucent and season with salt and pepper. Add in chicken and stir to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and hardboiled eggs. Spoon 1-2 tsp. of mixture into center of crescent roll triangle; fold over to create a pocket and press with a fork to seal the edges. When all pockets have been formed, brush lightly with egg wash mixture. Bake at 375 for roughly 20 minutes, until crusts are golden brown. Serve hot.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago