Twice-baked sweet potatoes
This is a recipe inspired by some of my favorite flavors and one of my favorite ways to prepare regular potatoes – twice baked. Since the sweet potato packs the biggest nutritional punch for your money in the produce department, this is another great way to get them into your meal rotation. It does take some planning ahead, since they take a while, but they are well worth it.
4 small to mid-sized sweet potatoes
1/2 a stick of butter (4 Tbsp.), sliced
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Wash and poke potatoes with a fork to pierce the skin. Either bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes or microwave until cooked through (I have a potatoes setting on mine, but it’s about 15 minutes). Remove and slice off the top of each and scoop out most of the innards, leaving a boat (with about 1/4 inch of the flesh so your skins don’t fall apart). Place scooped out potato into a mixing bowl with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt. Mash well so ingredients are well mixed and butter is melted. Scoop back into potato boats (it will be heaping full). Carefully press marshmallows into the top of the refilled potatoes and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until marshmallows are browned and form a delicious, gooey crust on top. Dig in and eat!
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago