We really like pizza in our house. In fact, we typically eat pizza once a week. It was my go-to food while pregnant both times, the one thing that was guaranteed to sound delicious when nothing else did.
1 1/2 c. warm water
1-1/4 oz. packet active dry yeast
5 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
Stir the yeast into the warm water in a small bowl until dissolved.
Whisk together the salt and flour in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast/water mixture until a soft dough forms (if dough is too dry, add more water 1 Tbsp. at a time; if dough is too wet, add more flour 1 Tbsp. at a time). Transfer dough to a floured work surface and knead for 10-12 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to a bowl drizzled with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place for 2 hours.
After two hours, uncover dough and punch in middle. Divide into three equal parts and transfer to three smaller, oiled bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise another hour.
Refrigerate for up to 1 day (or freeze for later use).
To use, spread on pizza stone or pizza pan, parbake at 425 for 5 minutes and top as desired. Bake 15-20 minutes; allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
To make herbed pizza dough:
Stir in 1 tsp. each oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder into flour before added water/yeast mixture. Follow rest of recipe as usual. For more flavor, brush exposed crust with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt after baking.
About menuplanningmamaI am a mother of two, and like many people today, I am also a military wife. Between my husband's work schedule and having two children who are only 20 months apart in age, it is very important to me that my family eat well and that it doesn't take hours out of my life. Menu planning has enabled my family to save money and eat better (which is important to me as a nursing mother). And eating better has great side effects: weight loss!
- Get that girl scout cookie fix! youtu.be/NJsBoBCftjM 5 months ago
- @sassycurmudgeon I grew up in the city they are from. They are so out of touch w reality it's indescribable. Not fit to oversee Ed. 5 months ago
- RT @joshgondelman: Betsy DeVos would do a killer job running one of those orphanages where the kids just sing about how sad they are all da… 5 months ago
- RT @libshipwreck: One of these pictures is of a dramatic threat to public school students, the other is of a bear. https://t.co/HRGg1h5Xw9 5 months ago
- Radical idea: appoint an actual EDUCATOR instead of an out-of-touch billionaire. #DeVosHearing #DearMrPresident #Change4Children #RealReform 5 months ago